40 Body Positivity Quotes to Help You Practice Self-Love
As the days get warmer and swimsuit season kicks into gear, many of us can’t help but compare ourselves to others, becoming hyper-critical of how our own bodies look whether in our undies or when out in the summer sun. When negative self-talk creeps in, it’s important to do things that remind us of our endless beauty and worth. That’s why we’ve compiled 40 body positivity quotes from respected authors and public figures who have dealt with self-esteem issues and have some wisdom to share on the topic.
Body positivity quotes aren’t a cure for low self-esteem, but they can certainly be a catalyst for a more positive outlook on life. Hopefully, you’ll have some “aha” moments as you read so that you can start stepping outside radiating with confidence.
Body Positivity Quotes For Every-Body!
Nobody is immune to struggles with self-confidence. Women and men alike battle feelings of unworthiness that tear us down rather than build us up. When the going gets tough, remind yourself of these affirming body positivity quotes that will help you feel good in your own skin again.
- “Say goodbye to your inner critic, and take this pledge to be kinder to yourself and others.” — Oprah Winfrey, Host & philanthropist
- “And I said to my body softly, ‘I want to be your friend.’ It took a long breath and replied, ‘I have been waiting my whole life for this.’” — Nayyirah Waheed, Poet, Salt
- “People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.” — Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, Psychiatrist
- “You have been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” — Louise Hay, Author
- “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” — Thich Nhat Hanh, Monk & Poet
- “Don’t let your mind bully your body.” — June Tomaso Wood, Therapist
- “You can’t hate yourself happy. You can’t criticize yourself thin. You can’t shame yourself worthy. Real change begins with self-love and self-care.” — Jessica Ortner, Author
Body Image Quotes for Moms & Mature Women
As much as children add to life, maturity and motherhood can bring with it some body insecurity that’s tough to overcome. For when you’re feeling self-critical, bookmark these body image quotes for a fresh reminder that all bodies are beautiful.
- “Life is way too short to be focused on scales, weight and cellulite. If you can look in the mirror and know that you're a beautiful, loving, friendly person who's good to people, that'll ultimately make you shine on the outside.” Teresa Palmer, Actress
- “As a child, I never heard one woman say to me, ‘I love my body’. Not my mother, my elder sister, my best friend. No one woman has ever said, ‘I am so proud of my body.’ So I make sure to say it to my daughter because a positive physical outlook has to start at an early age.” — Kate Winslett, Actress
- “Even though it will never be flat again, my stomach’s still my favorite because it reminds me of my greatest achievement: my babies.” — Isla Fisher, Actress
- “This body is fierce, strong, and unapologetic” — Mirna Valerio, Author & runner
- “Being a healthy woman isn’t about getting on a scale or measuring your waistline. We need to start focusing on what matters — on how we feel, and how we feel about ourselves.” — Michelle Obama, Activist & former First Lady
- “If you aren’t good at loving yourself, you will have a difficult time loving anyone, since you’ll resent the time and energy you give another person that you aren’t even giving to yourself. — Barbara De Angelis, Author & consultant
- “Finding balance as a mother means accepting your imperfections.” — Mary Organizes, Influencer
Quotes About Being Confident for Students
The life of a student can be incredibly challenging. From anxiety about grades to self-comparison with peers, it’s easy to lose track of one’s own sense of self-worth. Check out these quotes about being confident for some inspiration as you navigate the challenges of being a student.
- “This body is resilient. It can endure all kinds of things. My body offers me the power of presence. My body is powerful.” — Roxane Gay, Writer
- “Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. Remember that fear always lurks behind perfectionism.” — Dr. David M. Burns, Psychiatrist
- “There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.” — Beverly Sills, Operatic soprano
- “If you can't fly, then run. If you can't run, then walk. If you can't walk, then crawl, but whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.” — Martin Luther King, Jr., Minister & Activist
- “If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.” — Jim Rohn, Entrepreneur
- “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.” —Maya Angelou, Poet
Women’s Self-Love Quotes
If anyone has had experience developing fierce self-love in the face of criticism, it’s successful women living in the public eye. On days when it feels hard to love yourself, even when you’re wearing your favorite top, look to the following self-love quotes from those who have taken active steps to feel satisfied and confident in their own skin.
- "Since I don't look like every other girl, it takes a while to be okay with that—to be different. But different is good.” — Serena Williams, Professional tennis player
- "There is no cosmetic for beauty like happiness.” — Maria Mitchell, Astronomer
- "Each individual woman's body demands to be accepted on its own terms" — Gloria Steinem, Journalist & Activist
- “I’ve learned that if you’re too skinny, they’ll say something about it. If you’re not skinny enough, they’ll say something about it. I just try to feel good in my own skin as much as I can.” — Jennifer Love Hewitt, Actress
- “I am allowed to look sexy, feel sexy, and be in love. I am worthy of all those things. And so are you.” — Mary Lambert, Singer
- “I can’t think of any better representation of beauty than someone who is unafraid to be herself.” — Emma Stone, Actress
Confident Girly Quotes for Younger Women
- Every young woman deserves to feel like she’s on top of the world. If you need a reminder that you’re perfect just as you are, keep these confident girly quotes in mind.
- “One day I decided that I was beautiful and so I carried out my life as if I was a beautiful girl. It doesn’t have anything to do with how the world perceives you. What matters is what you see.” — Gabourey Sidibe, Actress
- “I definitely have body issues, but everybody does. When you come to the realization that everybody does that—even the people that I consider flawless—then you can start to live with the way you are.” — Taylor Swift, Singer/Songwriter
- “For young women, I would say, don’t worry so much about your weight. Girls spend way too much time thinking about that, and there are better things…what makes you different or weird, that’s your strength.” — Meryl Streep, Actress
- “Never apologize for being sensitive or emotional. It’s a sign that you have a big heart, and that you aren’t afraid to let others see it. Showing your emotions is a sign of strength.” — Brigitte Nicole, Influencer
- “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.” — Mohadesa Najumi, Writer
- “Women have been trained to speak softly and carry a lipstick. Those days are over.” — Bella Abzug, Lawyer & Activist
- “I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one.” — Calamity Jane, Frontierswoman
Quotes on High Self-Esteem for Men
With all of the societal expectations placed on men, it can be difficult to feel worthy. If you feel like your confidence is slipping, remember the following quotes about being confident to boost your self-esteem.
- “No amount of self-improvement can make up for any lack of self-acceptance.” — Robert Holden, Psychologist
- “Confidence is a habit that can be developed by acting as if you already had the confidence you desire to have.” — Brian Tracy, Motivational speaker
- “If you are insecure, guess what? The rest of the world is, too. Do not overestimate the competition and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think.” — T. Harv Eker, Author
- “A person’s worth in this world is estimated according to the value they put on themselves.” — Jean De La Bruyere, Philosopher
- “Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.” — Eleanor Roosevelt, Former First Lady & Activist
- “The confidence which we have in ourselves gives birth to much of that which we have in others.” — Francois De La Rochefoucauld, Author
- “Self-esteem is made up primarily of two things: feeling lovable and feeling capable.” — Jack Canfield, Author
How to Use Body Positive Quotes
Remember, much like underwear, body positivity quotes aren’t a “one size fits all.” You may resonate with some and not others, and that’s okay! Remember, it’s one thing to believe these affirmations; it’s another to live them out. Let’s take a look at some ways you can meaningfully integrate these body image quotes into your life.
1. Leave Post-It notes where you get ready. It’s common to feel most self-critical when in front of the mirror. Train your brain to see yourself in a more positive light by sticking your favorite quotes right where you get ready for your day.
2. Make them your phone wallpaper. There’s nothing we spend more time looking at than our cell phones. By setting the quote you find most inspiring as your phone’s wallpaper, you’ll have a constant subconscious reminder of your value and beauty.
3. Put them on your bedroom door. If you really resonate with a quote, consider printing it into a poster and putting it on your closet or bedroom door. You’ll notice it every time you wake up in the morning and start your day with a more positive mindset.
4. Write them in your journal. Journaling is a great way to reflect on your feelings. Try putting pen to paper to solidify some of these quotes in your mind, and even consider making one of them your daily mantra.
5. Share them on social media. If you found a quote impactful, chances are others will, too! Share them on your Instagram story and check out our guide on using our Instagram Stickers below.
Body image quotes are one popular way to remind yourself of your beauty and value, but the journey toward self-love goes beyond quotes from successful public figures. Consider developing some sleep affirmations or taking the time to chat with a close friend or a therapist to develop a positive mindset surrounding your body and your worth.
One crucial step toward self-love is wearing what makes you feel most confident. Whether that means picking out the right panties and the best-fitting bras or even just leveling up your loungewear around the house, you deserve to feel your best in everything you wear.